Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My NEW! Pod Flowers

The other day, I was looking at some day lilies in my yard.  The flowers had bloomed a while ago, and now the stalks each carry a large, green seed pod. These will grow brown and dry and pop open to spread seeds come fall.  It struck me that it would be such fun if seed pods had color and, perhaps, even bloomed themselves. This thought sent me to the clay to see what I could fashion.

Hence, my new Pod Flowers.

I've entered a bit of a fantasy world with this idea, and thought I'd share this new species with you.  The original Pod Flowers developed in delicate colors with a translucent glow.  The first were in pale pinks and delicate greens, with just a hint of apricot.  As the pods aged, some of them grew fuller -  while others opened,  showing delicate stamens.




While looking deeper into the cool woods where these delicate pods bloom, I came upon a specimen in a deep coral shade.










You can imagine my surprise - and pleasure - when I happened upon some Pod Flowers growing in a rocky, sunlit area near a small stream.  These Pod Flowers were covered with butterflies. The monarchs especially seemed to prefer those that were tangerine-colored.


On the other side of the  stream, in the shade of some low-growing bushes, I discovered another variety in lovely purples and blues.  The yellow butterflies were particularly attracted to those Pod Flowers with purple hues.  
Finally, I found what appears to be a new twist - both figuratively and literally.  This last photo of the Pod Flowers shows these spirals - and even some new sparkle.  Do let me know what you think o these new discoveries.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Your creativity never ends. These are so beautiful. I'd like to walk in the woods and pick some of them. Hopefully some will be for sale at our next get together.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete